Geocaching Scavenger Hunt


All About Geocaching

Geocaching is the recreational activity of hunting for and finding a hidden object by means of GPS coordinates. This is the perfect activity for all ages! We want to encourage everyone to get outside and explore Welland in a safe and fun way. That is why we have created a version of this fun, free, interactive scavenger hunt in celebration of our 100th Anniversary. Borrow a library Geocache kit, use your own GPS or visit any branch to get a printed map to find each location.

This is a great opportunity to discover some of Welland’s significant historical sites, explore some of our great local businesses and of course, just have some fun whether with friends and family or on your own. See below for more details and information on how you can participate. On your marks, get set…start hunting Saturday, June 26, 2021.

Thank you to the Niagara Community Foundation for funding this project.


Name Coordinates Description
1. Court House (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 42.99277, -79.24832

The Welland County Court House, built in 1855-1856, was designed by Kivas Tully, one of Canada’s leading architects who is noted for his pleasing proportions found in all of his Ontario Court Houses. It is built with Queenston Limestone.

2. City Hall building, civic square: (https://www NULL.welland 42.99222, -79.24860  
3. Merrit Island (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 42.996645, -79.245983 Adjacent to the Aqueduct is Merritt Island, named for canal founder William Hamilton Merritt. An artificial island lying between the Welland River and canal, it is now used for recreational activity. Found in the City’s centre, Merritt Island is a hidden treasure and outdoor paradise for all ages, consisting of paved and natural trails that span the Welland Recreation Corridor and beyond.
4. Coyle Creek Park 42.984842, -79.281009  
5. Welland Bridge 13 42.99178, -79.25128 Bridge 13, known as the Main Street Bridge, was built in 1927-1930 during the construction of the Fourth Welland Canal (1913-1933). This bridge was one of the three largest vertical lift bridges on the canal with a roadway width of 30 feet, girder width of 34.5 feet and a length of 231 feet 5 5/8 inches. It was also the most expensive, costing $986,363. On April 23, 1930, the new vertical lift bridge over the Welland Ship Canal was opened to traffic.
6. Chippawa Park (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 42.995789, -79.259073 Welland Crowland War Memorial located at Chippawa Park, in Welland was built in 1939. The Welland-Crowland War Memorial is the last large World War I memorial to be erected in Canada. It was built with over $36,000 in subscriptions collected from the people of Welland and Crowland at the height of the Depression. A nationally significant piece of Canadian sculpture, the war memorial was created by artist Elizabeth Wyn Wood, winner of a Canada wide competition for the project. One of the premier locations is the Chippawa Park rose garden. This garden features many varieties of roses with the City of Welland rose as a part of the display.
7. Welland Main Arena 42.981249, -79.251544 Toronto Star Arena Clock – located at the Welland Arena, at 501 King Street. Welland’s Toronto Star Arena Clock is an excellent example of a Canadian Advertising Clock, produced for the Canadian market by clock companies in Ontario and Quebec starting from the 1920’s. It is one of the few remaining genuine electric arena clocks in the Province, with its original-style mechanisms, and in its original location, and is an excellent example of the type of timepiece typically installed in Ontario arenas in the mid-20th century.
8. Welland Transit/bus depot (https://www NULL.welland 42.992569, -79.246580 Between 1912 and 1930, local streetcar (https://en NULL.wikipedia service was provided in Welland by the Niagara, Welland and Lake Erie railway (https://en NULL.wikipedia,_Welland_and_Lake_Erie_railway) which operated on East Main Street and King Street (then known as South Main Street). This company also provided a short-lived service on West Main Street and Niagara Street (then known as North Main) for about 6 months in 1922.Since 1973, Welland Transit (https://en NULL.wikipedia operates the public transport service of scheduled bus services and paratransit covering the city.
9. Woodlawn Park (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 43.01267, -79.27604  
10. St. George Park 42.968997, -79.272725  
11. Memorial Park (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 42.978363, -79.225097 Memorial Park was a project of the 1967 Centennial. It is very flat with younger trees. It has an outdoor pool shaped like a figure 8. There is also a cenotaph at this park. In the late 1960s, the eastern part of the park was used for the Welland Canal bypass. Patrons of the park can often see ships passing through the bypass.
12. Welland Public Library – Main Branch 42.99271, -79.24877  
13. Welland Public Library – Seaway Mall Branch 43.01578, -79.24711  
14. Welland Public Library – Diamond Trail Branch 42.97314, -79.23497  
15. Maple Park (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 43.00202, -79.28320  
16. Plymouth Park (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 42.978087, -79.245456  
17. Manchester Park 42.989937, -79.231590  
18. Welland SPCA (https://niagaraspca 42.96952, -79.25991  
19. Chaffey Park 42.972324, -79.24427  
20. Station Park 42.976630, -79.252414  
21. Ricelawn Park 43.01501, -79.27459  
22. Merrit Park (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 42.989458, -79.251341

located at Merritt Park on King Street. The Welland Canal Memorial Monument was built to commemorate the people of Canada and around the world who came to the Niagara Peninsula to build the Welland Canal. It was unveiled on September 27, 2001 and is a familiar landmark in the City. 

23. Trelawn Park (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 43.018531, -79.253230  
24. Glen Park 43.00122, -79.27363  
25. Catharine Street – “The Brick Road” (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 42.990401, -79.258698 The brick paving on Catharine Street at the end of West Main is the last remaining visible example of Welland’s first permanent type of pavement. Laid between 1912 and 1914, it was constructed of “Metropolitan” paving brick in a stretcher bond pattern over a six-inch concrete base. Catharine Street was named after Catharine Stoner, daughter of the original owner of the land.
26. Welland Sports Complex (North) (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 43.02232 -79.24671  
27. Deere Street Park 42.966539, -79.240029  
28. Welland Dog Park (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 42.973616, -79.257714  
29. Glenwood Park (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 42.941642, -79.24123  
30. Broadway Park 42.973856, -79.271609  
31. Bemus Park (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 42.980351, -79.239705  
32. Lincoln Street docks & park 42.981110, -79.256007  
33. Towpath Village Park 43.02361, -79.24163  
34. Battle of Cooks Mills National Historic Site – Parks Canada 42.99793, -79.17490 Corner of Lyons Creek and Matthews Roads. This cairn and plaque mark the site along Lyon’s Creek where British and Canadian troops forced the Americans to withdraw following a heavy skirmish on the 19th of October 1814 involving men of the Glengarry Light Infantry and the 82nd, 100th and 104th Regiments, supported by a gun and rockets. The Battle of Cook’s Mills was the last battle between regular forces on Canadian soil during the War of 1812.
35. Battle of Cooks Mills Peace Garden Site 42.993572, -79.185464 Corner Doan’s Ridge and Lyons Creek Roads. The Memorial Peace Garden was dedicated on October 19, 2013, 99 years after the War of 1812 Battle of Cook’s Mills ended. On a peaceful site overlooking Lyon’s Creek, just west of where the battle was actually fought, it features the flags of Canada, Britain and the United States, a large rock topped by a mill stone with a (now missing) sword embedded through it and interpretive panels explaining the battle.
36. Cooks Mills Park (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 42.993702, -79.189479  
37. Welland Wellness Complex (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 42.983217, -79.253177  
38. Rotary Club Park of Welland (https://www NULL.wellandrotaryclub 42.983099, -79.255640  
39. Welland Historical Museum (https://www NULL.wellandmuseum 42.98903, -79.25088 (formerly the Welland Public Library, currently the Welland Museum) Carnegie Building located at 140 King St. It was built in 1923.  “Formed at Brown’s Bridge in November of 1824, the Welland Public Library is perhaps the oldest continuously operating institution in the City of Welland. Shareholders’ names recorded in the earliest preserved minutes include many later memorialized in local street and place names such as Brown, O’Reilly, Page, and Hellems.
40. Job Gym (https://www NULL.jobgym 42.99285, -79.24411  
41. Gaiser Road Park 42.985558, -79.282835  
42. Brick Arch on Parkway (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 43.001002, -79.253163 These two “tapestry brick” archways stand on either side of the entrance to Parkway, a boulevard constructed for the new Parkway Heights subdivision in 1913. At one time the arches had wrought iron lights and a wrought iron gateway spanned the street. The subdivision was developed by C.J. Laughlin, President of Laughlin Realty. Laughlin was known as a “town builder” who brought new industries to Welland.
43. Elmwood Park 42.98191, -79.26358  
44. Welland Hospital 42.980108, -79.248613  
45. Welland Horticultural Society/Regional Fairgrounds (http://www NULL.wellandhort 43.02882, -79.248905  
46. Caffineoline Coffee House (https://www NULL.caffeineoline 42.99199, -79.24877  
47. Welland Community Boathouse (https://www NULL.wifc 43.00850, -79.24134  
48. Coyle Creek Park 42.98410, -79.28094  
49. Almond Street Park 43.001432, -79.237059  
50. Jennifer Park 43.008143, -79.245034  
51. Welland Farmers Market (https://www NULL.welland NULL.asp) 42.990309, -79.248614 The Welland Farmers’ Market has been centrally located on the present site since 1907. It has been an important meeting place for commercial and social events for over 80 years. The market was, and continues to be, a focal point in downtown Welland. The Market Building, constructed in 1919, is thought to be designed by N. Kearns, the only local architect of the period. It is of a solid, brick construction, with a mix of Spanish and Prairie styles.
52. International Flatwater Centre (https://www NULL.wifc 42.965004, -79.255232